This is a two day excursion on the stunning Dart Estuary, river-side camping overnight on the Sharpham estate. (NB If you want an overnight adventure on the River Wye go here or for a 3 day expedition go here).
Setting off from Totnes with the outgoing tide, we leave the town behind us to join with the peaceful expanse of the Dart Estuary, with its thick wooded banks, and sparkling water. We follow the gentle meandering of the river as it winds towards the sea at Dartmouth, where the fresh meets the salt. Lunch is in the pub/cafe at either Stoke Gabriel or Dittisham, or you can just bring a picnic lunch and eat on the beach. Kids love it too, and there is plenty of opportunity to go crabbing or even hunt for oysters)
Two days gives us time to appreciate this beautiful and wild stretch of water with its abundant wildlife, where you are likely to see many different birds, and often seals as well.
The pace is relaxed and we stop along the way to explore the river bank or make a brew. Pitching camp by the water's edge under the starlight, we'll share a meal around the campfire.
This trip is suitable for beginners and is a lovely introduction to canoeing for adults and children alike.
IMPORTANT TRIP INFORMATION - please read
- Times: The trip generally runs from 11am until 12pm the next day but may vary slightly due to the tides. Please arrive on time because we can’t wait if you are late!
- Start point: Longmarsh carpark, TOTNES, TQ95AL. You'll need money for parking metre.
- Finish point : Totnes or Stoke Gabriel River Shack cafe/car park - in which case we arrange transport back to where you left your car in Totnes.
- What to wear/bring: Small-mediumTent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, suitable clothing for the conditions - loose fitting comfy clothes are best. Footwear - old trainers/boots/Crocs. Raincoat/trousers if it is a wet forecast. Sunhat/sunblock if it's going to be hot. Picnic lunch and enough snacks for the day (or some money if you plan to eat lunch in the pub/cafe). Bowl, fork, spoon, mug. Crabbing line and bait? camera? Binoculars?. Water bottle.
- Cost: Adults £125, Children under 16 £65
- What's included? Canoe, canoe paddle, life vest, dry bag (to store anything that MUST not get wet), qualified river guide, camping fees, evening BBQ/campfire meal, Sunday cooked breakfast (BYO newspaper).
- About the food: Evening campfire cuisine. Sunday morning cooked breakfast. Please indicate any dietary requirements on booking form.
- WEIGHT LIMIT: Sorry but our canoes are not suitable for people who weigh in excess of 16 stone (100 kg) as they may tip over!